Saturday, September 18, 2010

Belly Dance and the hoop

This post goes out to my hoopers whose belly dance performance I missed seeing today because I totally slept in. My bad. But I'm starting to believe that belly dancing and hooping are super complimentary. I know I've been saying this for about a year now, but I really need to start some classes. Luckily Kristin and Donna teach, unluckily, school takes up all of my time. So it's a conundrum. Anyways, here's some proof that belly dancing and hooping make good bedfellows.


Though I haven't seen Miss Rosie (of Hero Hoops) before in my youtube exploration, I stumbled across this performance today and wow- it's gorgeous. What I love about it is that it's not a 'technically' difficult performance, hooping-wise. It's all about the grace with which she moves and manipulates the hoop. Even in the moment of humour, the lines and shapes she makes with her body (as well as the expressions on her face) are absolutely gorgeous. She's like a painting by Alphonse Mucha come to life!

Just for reference- Mucha's 'Music'


I've also found some more straightforward belly dance/hoop hybrid performances. Unity (Valentina) posts a lot of videos that show her mad skills in both areas-



This is another amazing video by Unity, though it doesn't have sound so I'll just link it if you're interested- here

No comments:

Post a Comment